Wednesday 5 November 2008

Day 1 :Wakkanai to Otoineppu - 75.3 miles

My bike completely frozen, Otoineppu



What a day. A snow storm started at 7 am preventing me from leaving the hotel in Wakkanai until 9. It got progressively worse throughout the morning and it was so cold the roads were refreezing after being cleared and gritted. I wanted to get in as many miles in as I could so I carried on, put on all my extreme weather clothing and went for it. I was glad I did, all I saw for the rest of the day were snow plough heading North which could only mean it was getting worse nearer Wakkanai. My bike had frozen up and only 3 of it's 24 gears were available. I'd also forgotten what my feet felt like.

This region of Hokkaido is very beautiful and the scenery made the struggle earlier on worthwhile, miles of twisty road through the mountains. It was starting to get dark so I decided I'd stay at the next village I came to. No hotels but Otoineppu has facilities (toilets, hot running water) for hikers and skiers there so I wasn't roughing it completely. Had the best nights sleep I'd had since England.




I can't remember where this was but it was very cold



Amongst the mountains





Snow plough heading North, Otoineppu





Otoineppu





Belly of the tauntaun, Otoineppu


1 comment:

liannallama said...

beautiful but BRRRRRR! There is no way I could brave that weather--it's 61 degrees here and I'm cold, LOL! I really would like to vacation in Sapporro in the Winter sometime to see the Ice festival.