Sunday 23 November 2008

Day 20: Kyoto to Akashi, 54 miles

The Akashi-Kaikyō is the World's longest suspension bridge. No bikes allowed so it's the ferry for me tomorrow.



Had a strange but good day today. I cycled through the World's second largest metropolitan area (Tokyo is the first) from Kyoto, bypassing Osaka, through Kobe to Akashi. I'm now back under the influence of the Pacific Ocean so the weather is warm and sunny. Must have been through a hundred or more sets of traffic lights. I was on the road for 8 hours and only got 54 miles but I didn't care as I was in a trance all day, soaking up the sunshine. This area is so Japanese it's like I'm on another planet, everything is so different. Some people stare at me as if I'm the first white person they've ever seen whilst others just smile and say konnichiwa.



Kobe. Friendly ghost town.



Convergence: highway, railway, expressway, pedestrian walkway and a cycle path all cross over one another in downtown Kobe.



More pictures of The Akashi-Kaikyō Bridge

2 comments:

liannallama said...

Hooray for sunshine, LOL! Thanks for posting such beautiful pictures--I especially love the foliage in Kyoto and the temples!

Make sure you try okonomiyaki while you are in the area! It's made with eggs, batter, beansprouts and your choice of meat/tofu. Yummy yum! Osaka and Hiroshima both say they invented it and say theirs is the best! One is thicker, but they were almost the same to me.

Tim said...

Hey, thanks for the food tip, will definitely try okonomiyaki. Glad you're enjoying the pictures!