Saturday 15 November 2008

Day 12: Niigata to Omigawa, 56.6 miles

A Japanese bus like the one I broke.


My bike, relaxing in the hotel room after assault on bus.



Oh dear, had a run in with the the law. I misjudged the gap between a bus and a wall and my bike pulled the buses front bumper half off. The driver went mental. Twenty minutes later there were 6 of them; 2 senior police officers, 1 junior officer, 2 traffic cops and a representative from the bus company. The two traffic cops stood there and directed traffic around the bus with red flags whilst the two senior officers measured the width of my bike and analyzed my passport. The police were really cool, laughed a lot and negotiated with the driver and the bus boss.

The two senior officers then had a go at the bus driver who was now staring at the floor sheepishly. I would love to know what they said to him. The junior officer (who could speak a little English and had this Japanese to English translating computer) told me that the bus boss, who initially wanted me executed had reassessed my character, no longer considered me a terrorist and no that no charges would be pressed. No costs incurred. I said sorry in Japanese to the driver and thank you to the police. It was lots of fun to see Japanese bureaucracy in action, they love it.

All that took 2 hours so I fell short of my target by 18 miles and didn't make it to Joetsu before sunset. Also didn't get to take that many photos today either.


Had another day cycling along side The Sea of Japan. I'm going to see if I can make it all the way Kyoto using the coast road.




Views from the hotel reception and my room respectively, please excuse the reflection from the glass. It's lovely round here.


No comments: