Monday 3 November 2008

Day 0: Wakkanai - Soyamisaki - Wakkanai, 40.1 miles

Sunrise over Wakkanai harbour.


Today was my first day in Japan, I'm not starting the journey down to Kagoshima until tomorrow. I'm staying in the port town of Wakkanai on the island of Hokkaido, Japan's most Northern city. Did a little 40 mile cycle to Soyamisaki and back, the most Northerly point of Hokkaido. You can see Russia from here when the weather permits. It's very desolate here but strangely beautiful. It get's so cold in January that the sea here freezes over so I should get a move on really.


Wakkanai. Not the prettiest place on earth but
everyone is friendly enough.



Sign on the hill top at Soyamisaki.



Me at the Monument at Soyamisaki, Hokkaido's most Northerly point




This man is everywhere. I'd vote for him.




Fishing port of Cyuzai-Syo




The road back to Wakkanai from Soyamisaki point. The arrows
above the road tell the snowplough driver where the curb is.



1 comment:

liannallama said...

oh, it looks so cold and so different from the big cities in Japan! I hope you are eating lots of Ramen to keep you warm.

I am cracking up about the Russia thing. I don't know how much coverage you got in the UK, but there was lots of comedy here in US about Palin seeing Russia from her backyard, LOL!