Wednesday 5 November 2008

Day 3: Japanorama

Hallucinogenic rave drug Guatemalan bean coffee drink for the over 50's. Honorable & dignified.



Woke up at 4.30 this morning after only 5 hours sleep with my legs still aching and pain in my right ankle. All my washing was still damp in the bathroom as well so I made an executive decision to pull a Ferris Bueller. Booked myself into another hotel then went off on my bike and took a look round Asahikawa to find cures for my sprained ankle and cold feet.

Went to a little drug store where two chemist ladies took me under their wing and found cures for what ales me. We were joking and giggling for quarter of an hour not knowing a word of each others language. They also insisted I take these pills that they filled with a brown liquid. Good for strength apparently. I now feel a bit weird, can't stop laughing and have the urge to go to a toyshop and buy that two foot high, die-cast metal Gundam robot I've wanted since I was a kid.


Downtown Asahikawa


Nice chemist ladies clutching the strange herbal "to give you strength" drugs immediately after ingestion.

They told me these will cure my sprained ankle.

These will stop my cold feet.



Best performance sanitary unit, build in pleasure synthesis for busy traveler. Try it you might like it.




What a lot of Japanese seem to be driving these days. Very quiet, very Jetsons like. May be either very small cc, dual fuel or electric.



Asahikawa



Political Canvassing.


Vending machines yawn.


Picked up my first bicycle parking ticket. I don't think you're allowed to lock your bike to lampposts.



I can't believe even Japanese people can read that font.



Open the pod bay doors HAL, you're shrinking my woolens.


Fucking hell



Total brain/shop interface overload


Asahikawa

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Tim, mate!
Trev sent me the address for your blog. What are you doing cycling in Hokkaido at this time of year!?
Drop me a mail, mate (jiemusu@gmail.com), and I'll send you my phone number just in case you get into trouble and need some help with Japanese.
Looking forward to meeting up in Tokyo. Me and Jonny B have places to show you....

James P.

Kristy said...

Hi Tim!

It looks as though are having some fun now - maybe it's the drugs! :o)How are you coping with the language?

You want the Robot, I want that Washing Machine! :oP

Tim said...

Hi Kristy,

All is going well so far. Language hasn't been a problem, mime and gesturing works a treat! The Japanese communicate visually a lot anyway; a lot of the road warning signs feature funny characters doing stuff. I fit right in! x

liannallama said...

Rock on! I love your Japanorama--great pics!

Make sure you get some Chu-Hai one night--a fruity wine-cooler type drink, but so delicious! My favorite is the grapefruit or apple flavor--here's what they look like:
http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=63513

liannallama said...

PS--Love those Japanese Deluxe Western Style Toilets! They are so nice and warm you when it's cold, LOL! Did you know they have actually imported those toilets to use at the Google offices in San Francisco! LOL!