Friday 28 November 2008

Day 24: Imbari to Oita, 110 miles by bike & 17 by ferry

Politics Misaki style. These modernising young guns were standing out in the rain shouting at passing cars.



longest day of the trip so far; cycled 95 miles from Imbari to Misakai Port then caught the ferry across to Kyushu, then another 15 the other side to Oita to get a hotel. I also had two major climbs. The highest was 1500ft from sea level in about 6 miles. It also rained heavily all afternoon.



Start of the climb up from Imbari through the mountains.




Lake outside of Imbari


Longest tunnel so far at just over a mile and a half and also the highest at 1500ft. I was in there so long that by the time I'd reached the exit I didn't want to leave and the Japanese authorities had to rehabilitate me.








Enormous dam on the descent down to Matsuyama.



The North Western coastline of Shikoku.



Pull yourself together man! My bike flakes out during the mad 50 mile dash along the Shikoku coast.



Up again.


Cycling an elevated road along the peninsula to Misaki Port. Please excuse the raindrop on the lens, it was chucking it down.


Misaki ferry. Not glam.

No comments: