Friday 7 November 2008

Day 4: Asahikawa to Sapporo - 92.3 miles


Dog day today. I had a lot of mileage to cover to get to Sapporo before sunset and the weather was appalling, torrential rain, snow and a headwind for most of the 9 hours I was cycling. Route 12 to Sapporo was grim, miles of rundown suburbs, abandoned industry and disused buildings. Strange clash of cultures though, a lot of Japanese-Americana styled cinemas, arcades & bowling alleys in these derelict working class towns.



Amusement arcade.



Disused cinema (?) I love this sign.



What I was sharing the road with today.


Had to cycle through a half a mile long road tunnel. No pavement. No shoulder. No fun.




Some of the houses are very strange round here. Kept on seeing this style.



Nostalgia mobile. There are some very odd cars on the road; most of the cars look as if the 70s never ended. Will get more photos.


Autumn is beautiful in Japan when the sun comes out. Had to stop to take pictures of these trees.




View from the hotel window, Sapporo.



Entrance lobby of my hotel, Sapporo. A bit different from my tent.


Sapporo. The specks in the picture are snowflakes.

No comments: