Wednesday 26 November 2008

Day 23: Fukuyama to Imabari, 70.1 miles.

Start of the world's greatest cycle route: Gardeners glove shaped into victory sign by the entry gate. Call me Lance.




Cycled the 6 bridges of the Nishiseto Expressway today which means I'm done with Honshu and now on Shikoku, the smallest of the four main islands of Japan. This will mean that I'll have cycled on 11 of Japan's islands by the end of the trip. Guess I'll have to do the other 2,989 next time.




Bridge No. 1. You had to cycle along a gantry suspended beneath the road.



Bridge No. 2



Bridge No. 3 and it's view.


Now that's what I call a bike path. Exiting bridge 3.



I saved the navigator but the pilot was a goner.



Bridge No. 4



It's like Spring in this part of Japan.




Bridge No. 5 and it's view.




The big one: Bridge No. 6 and it's view. It's so high up that you feel like you're flying.




Shipbuilding? No, that was just a rumor that was spread around town. The Imabari shipyard from the Kurushima-Kaikyō Bridge.




Heaven & Hell: The weather's fantastic but cycling through Japanese road tunnels is like being punched in the face and then shouted at.

1 comment:

liannallama said...

oh, those views are breath-taking and what beautiful architecture of those bridges! I don't think I could ride over them since I am scared of large bridges.

I had an incident last week where my mom and I got lost and we almost accidentally ended up on the Terminal Island Bridge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Thomas_Bridge) here in Long Beach/Los Angeles. She is TERRIFIED of bridges and had us both shaking for an hour after that, LOL!