Monday 17 November 2008

Day 14: Toyama to Kanazawa, 42.9 miles



I really don't like this part of Japan, it's one big sprawl of adjoined cities stuck in a bay North of The Japanese Alps. The coastline of The Sea of Japan has become very industrialized; all the little fishing villages have been replaced by modern housing developments, empty factories and pachinko joints; seems like there's quite a few people addicted to gambling in Japan. The weather has taken a turn for the worse as well. Another cold spell is forecast and this area of Japan is renowned for it's heavy rainfall.

I cycled 43 miles to Kanazawa this morning; must have been through about 30 sets of traffic lights! Took me nearly 5 hours, got into town at about 1.30pm. Went to look at the castle in Kanazawa this afternnoon, it was the first touristy thing I've done on this trip.


Disused warehouse signage, Takaoka. It's not the nicest place I've passed through.



Political posters, Kanazawa. These are on most walls. They always feature the image of a politician. I think most are local and represent the prefecture but the poster on the left is Taro Aso, the prime minister of Japan.



Kanazawa castle



Bridge and gate in the castle grounds




View from the castle grounds




Downtown Kanazawa




Kanazawa from my hotel window.












3 comments:

liannallama said...

Oh--beautiful castle! We saw Himeji, Kyoto and Osaka castle and I loved them all! Did you see Big Buddha? I'm obsessed with Big Buddhas and I'd love to see the one in Kanazawa! Sorry you have been cycling through such boring parts. The foliage is beautiful though--we don't see much of that here in So Cal!

Tillaabel said...

I keep trying to post comments, but im not sure if its working, take care all the best! Tilla Rose x

Lauren said...

blogtastic!