Saturday 8 November 2008

Day 5: Sapporo to Toya-ko Onsen - 65.7 miles

Mountain mayhem. Really bad road conditions.



Day of total mentalness. Thought it would be cool to take the direct route to Toya-ko and follow Route 230 up through the mountains. Did 3000ft of climbing, which was fantastic and felt great... until I got to the top of the mountain and realised how cold it was. I nearly died on the way back down; I've never been so cold. Got really angy with myself for not thinking things through properly; really ignorant. Luckily there was a cafe at 1400ft and the old lady that ran it saw the state I was in and stood me in front of a massive oil burning heater.

The rest of the journey back down was okay; pretty much a descent all the way to Toya-ko. It's very beautiful round here so I got a reward for all my suffering. The lake is amazing and the photos I took don't do it justice.




Heading out of Sapporo. Saw the size of the mountains and did momentarily think about turning back... Nah! it'll be cool.




view back down the hill




up



up



up


Me freezing my nuts off at 3000ft; the top of the mountain. It was -1 in Sapporo, lord knows how cold it was up there. Me and my bicycle got some looks of disbelief from the locals. Bit of a stupid thing to do in hindsight.




Lake Toyo-ko and Nakajima island



Lake Toyo-ko and Toyo-ko Onsen



View of Nakajima from my hotel window.



Japanese hotel room strangeness.




3 comments:

Kristy said...

Hope you thaw out soon! Keep warm and safe...

kjcarey said...

Tim...you probably don't remember me, but my brother and I met you in the USA on your ride to LA. We were making our way across country on our bikes also...(Harleys)
Your 100 mile days must feel pretty close to our 700 mile days!We live to ride...difference is...you have the better looking legs in the end!
It's been great keeping up with your travels...What a beast you are! Have fun, enjoy the moment... and like Brother Bart always says... "Keep your britches between the ditches!"

Tim said...

Hey Kathy Jo,

I remember you and your brother Mike. We met at that hotel in Gallup, New Mexico. You had those beautiful white ex-California Highway Patrol Harleys, how could I forget!

Pass on my regards to Mike, I learned a lot about the USA from the time we spent talking.

Glad you still live for the road. Will think of you when I reach Kagoshima!